Week 8 Microfiction: The Sun and The Moon

Personal creation on Canva.com

The Beginning

Once upon a time, no moon was in the sky at night. There was only a sun that shone all the time, day and night. That sun always looked sad. She was crying all the time. One day, her friend the moon came to see him and asked her why she was always crying. She answered she was always too hot with a sad face. Then the moon, who was very friendly, said to her that she could bathe in the ocean if she wanted to. While she was doing that, he, the moon, would take her place and watch over the Earth. So, the sun went out into the ocean to cool off, and the moon took her place in the sky.


The Beautiful Sky

And so, in the sky, there is the sun by day and the moon by night.


Author's noteThis is a story I used to tell the children I was babysitting. It's a story that I was told when I was little, so it's very likely that it exists somewhere in a book etc. I shortened it to fit the drabble format

Comments

  1. This story did a great job explaining the cycle of the sun and the moon! I don't remember reading a story about the sun and moon when I was a child, but this did a fine job of giving the same vibe as a nursery tale explaining the way something works. You fit everything very well into the drabble format and the story didn't feel like it was missing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Melanie!
    I really enjoyed your short stories about the sun and the moon. When I was younger I don't think I was ever told this story. The only story I remember that involved the moon was "The Cow Jumped Over the Moon." I think that it is a very cute story and I will try to remember it for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Melanie!
    I’m reading this after your other microfiction that explains why the sky is blue during the day and black during the night. This tale is also new to me. I love the explanation that it provides for the setting sun. Both this and the sky tales seem like wonderful stories to tell children. Thank you for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts