Week 7 Story: Target #1500

Wolfsbane (Source: Flickr)

"Target #1500: Kichaka. The latter assaulted several women. He uses his position, Chief Financial Officer, in his dad’s company as a tool to destroy their lives if they try to speak up and denounce him. He has a big influence on the media, police, and the city itself. We’ve been observing him since the death of one of his secretaries. Her death is shifty, and there’s a high chance that she was killed under the order of Kichaka. Your mission is to infiltrate his company and become his secretary. And then you know what to do next, Draupadi."

I finished browsing his files and looked up with a smirk. 

"Nice, he will be my 1500th target. I need to celebrate." 

I took my feet off the meeting table and put my target’s file back together.

- The next day – 

"Mr. Kichaka takes his coffee every morning with 2 squares of sweet and a dash of milk. He drinks a pineapple, kale, spinach, and apple smoothie; everything is in the black fridge. His smoothie must be brought to him at 6pm sharp, as soon as he leaves his office. Got it?”

"Yes, I got it." I wrote all the information down and followed my supervisor, the head secretary. I feel like we are his slaves. His department is full of women, but all the supervisors were men except when it comes to the secretaries. Nice. 

I sat down at my desk and start the work I was assigned for. One hour later, the CFO walked through the finance department door. I stand up a wait for him to enter his office. It was a rule here; each time he entered and leave the department, we need to stand up. What an entitled prick. 

"Hello, you must be the new secretary." Kichaka holds out his hand to me, waiting for me to shake it. I reached out my hand to him and put up my best fake smile.  "Yes, nice to meet you, sir." I shook his hand. I notice his eyes lingered on me. Ok, now he is slightly stroking my hand. "Hope you’ll love to work here." I smiled at him and wait for him to enter his office. As I sat, the head secretary casts a worried look at me. Don’t worry, he will pay. 

- A few weeks later -

" Flash News, the CFO of Mahbahara Holdings, Kichaka Mahabharata, died this early evening of a heart attack as he was driving ho..."

I listened to my car radio, a smile on my face. The radio was cut off by an incoming call from my agency.

"Mission accomplished. Agent D. Champagne is waiting for you at your apartment to celebrate your 1500th mission."

They hang up before I can thank them. I hope it’s good champagne or else. 

- a few hours ago -

Wolfsbane. I need to put it on his bloody smoothie. This flower is deadly and will cause him a heart attack. 3 or 5 flowers? Let’s put it all, he deserves it. I chuckled silently as I mix it with the other ingredients. As he retrieved his drink from my hands, he grazed my fingers and thanked me by caressing my arm.

"Bye. See you." never, I thought. I watched him walk out the door, knowing his fate.

__________________________________________________________

Author's noteI was a bit tired of the "damsel in distress" plot. It seems that the women have to only be saved by the men. So, for this story, instead of Bhima killing Kichaka, Draupadi is the one doing it in her own way. I don't see Draupadi violent, so that's why the killing is discreet. I was inspired by Charlie's Angel and the Netflix show Ginny and Georgina

Bibliography: Tiny Tales from the Mahabharata by Laura Gibbs


Comments

  1. Hi Melanie!

    I love your take on this story! It's very cathartic reading a woman overcome misogyny. I especially love that Draupadi gets revenge - and I agree that she wouldn't be violent. The method of killing you wrote for her is fitting. I really enjoyed this! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melanie!
    I really enjoyed this story! Kichaka was one of my least favorite characters, and you conveyed who he is very well with his overall sexist and creepy vibe while still making sense with this modern setting. Being in a position of power, he thought he could take advantage of his secretaries with no consequence, which is something that is sadly very common, so it was really satisfying to read Draupadi taking matters into her own hands to get justice for the other woman. Also, I just finished Ginny and Georgia (and loved it), so I got really excited when I recognized some of the elements from that show that you wove into this story! And, I think it worked really well with the Mahabharata storyline because Draupadi’s personality is not very showy or over-the-top, so the way she handled her mission in your story seemed very fitting to her character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melanie! Wow, this was such a cool story! While reading the Mahabharata I was also sick of the damsel in distress trope, so I loved how you gave Drapaudi more agency. I really liked the secret agent aspect, it was so unique and I forgot I was reading something for class. I have not seen Ginny and Georgia, but your story made me put it on my list! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Melanie, what a story! I completely agree that all of these stories require a healthy dose of strong, independent woman, and I love the unique take of Draupadi taking on her harasser instead of letting Bhima do it. I’m very impressed that Draupadi was able to wait a couple weeks before enacting her revenge, Kichaka was a creep from the minute he stepped into the office.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts